It seems like we can’t survive without air conditioning during these hot summer months, but the constant use makes huge holes in our budget. Fortunately, there are some ways that you can keep A/C cooling this summer without moving the thermostat lower in your Wichita area home.
- Use ceiling fans. Make sure the direction is set to turn counter-clockwise for the summer months. A ceiling fan will distribute the air to all the corners of the room and make the air conditioning system run less.
- Upgrade your insulation. Everyone knows that better insulation keeps your furnace and HVAC systems running more efficiently and for less money; however, many people don’t realize that better insulation also improves the quality of the air inside your home, keeping it more free from outside pollutants. Don’t forget ductwork in uninsulated areas. Uninsulated ductwork can create efficiency problems with your HVAC system.
- Turn off things you aren’t using. This can save money in two ways. Computers, televisions, monitors and other devices use energy of their own. When you turn off these devices, you are already saving energy and money; however, most of these devices also give off heat while they are on. If you turn these devices off, you also help your air conditioning unit to run more efficiently without having to fight the extra heat coming from these devices.
- Schedule routine maintenance. You should have a professional HVAC technician service your air conditioning unit regularly. Regular maintenance will alert you to potential problems and keep your air conditioning unit running as efficiently as possible.
- Change the air filters. Depending on your environment, you may need to change the air filters between scheduled maintenance visits. A clogged air filter will decrease the efficiency of your air conditioning unit, making it harder to cool your home.
For more ideas and professional advice on how you can keep your A/C cooling this summer without using more energy, contact us at Comfort Systems and let one of our trained technicians help you learn how to stay more comfortable for less money.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).