Get A Grip On Spring Allergies With These Easy Ideas
Living with seasonal allergies can be an absolute nightmare. Luckily, there are steps you can take to alleviate symptoms. Here are some of the most effective methods that you can start using today:
- Use microfiber cloths — Many people continue to use feather dusters, but most of these do nothing but spread the majority of the dust into the air, which can make the situation worse. Instead, wipe away dust with microfiber cloths, which attract and capture particles.
- Remove your clutter — For all you packrats and clutter bugs out there, you’re really doing yourself a disservice. These areas of clutter are a great place for dust and other pollutants to gather.
- Install UV lights — A heating and cooling technician can install UV lights inside your HVAC equipment that will remove harmful pollutants like viruses, bacteria, mold spores, mildew and other contaminants from your air.
- Use exhaust fans — Whenever you cook or take a shower, use the exhaust fan. In the kitchen, you’ll remove harmful fumes. In the bathroom, it’s all about lowering the moisture level, which can lead to mold growth.
- Wash bedding weekly — Since we spend several hours a day in bed, your bedding becomes a huge source of allergens. Cut this down by washing your blankets, sheets, and pillow cases at least once a week.
- Replace your carpets — Okay, so this is a bigger job than the other items we’ve listed. But the truth is, carpets are notorious for holding within their fibers particles, which are released as we walk across them. Replacing your carpets with hard wood, laminate flooring, or tile will considerably help lower the number of allergens in your home.
- Be consistent — No amount of cleaning will help lessen the severity of spring allergies if you aren’t consistent. Figure out a cleaning schedule and closely stick with it as much as possible.
If you’d like more techniques to help you with spring allergies, or have any other home comfort questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the experts at Comfort Systems. We’ve been serving the heating and cooling needs of Wichita and the surrounding area since 1996.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about spring allergies and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.