Geothermal Energy: 7 Benefits
Posted on April 18, 2013
Geothermal technology has been evolving for more than 50 years, and over 1 million systems have been installed in the United States to date. This ultra-efficient HVAC option uses heat-pump technology to transfer the heat that’s stored several feet underground (or underwater) into your home for efficient, quiet heating. In the summer, the geothermal heat pump extracts heat energy from the indoors and “rejects” it back into the ground, in order to cool your home. If you’re considering using geothermal energy in your Wichita area home, here are seven benefits for you to consider.
1. Exceptional efficiency ratings. This rating is determined by the ratio of the quantity of energy used to produce heat versus the amount of heat generated. A geothermal system is rated between 400 and 500 percent, far higher than the most energy-efficient furnace at 98 percent.
2. Unparalleled comfort. Clean, pure air, delivered at consistent temperatures throughout the home offers the ultimate in comfort. Cold and hot spots are eliminated, while a zoning system allows you to make individual temperature adjustments to various areas of your home.
3. Safety. The risk of explosion, carbon monoxide poisoning or inhalation of other dangerous fumes disappears with the absence of combustion.
4. Environmentally friendly. Electricity usage is greatly reduced, and because no fossil fuels are burned during the process, combustion and greenhouse gases are eliminated.
5. Hot water perk. Geothermal energy may be used to heat water by securing reclaimed heat recovered during the cooling process, for average water-heating savings of 50 to 60 percent.
6. Prolonged life cycle. The average life span of a geothermal system falls between 20 and 24 years, compared to 13 to 15 years with a conventional unit. The underground loop system can last as long as 50 years.
7. Greater flexibility. This type of installation works well with almost any climate, age or size of home.
For more information regarding a geothermal energy system for your Wichita area home, as well as details about the 30 percent federal tax credit available for qualifying geothermal systems, please call us at Comfort Systems. Since 1996, we have been providing top-quality service at affordable rates to homeowners in the Wichita area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about Geothermal Energy and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.