What to Expect From Your Annual Furnace Tune-up
Posted on October 15, 2013
Winter will soon be arriving in Wichita, and that means it’s time to schedule your annual furnace tune-up. Preventive maintenance is essential for keeping your system operating efficiently to maintain the highest level of comfort at the lowest cost. Your tune-up will also extend the life of your system, reduce emissions and ensure safe operation for the duration of the winter.
It’s important to choose a reputable and qualified contractor for your tune-up to ensure quality service at a fair price. While the tasks included in a professional tune-up can vary among contractors, these are fairly universal:
- Lubricate the moving parts of the system to eliminate friction.
- Tighten gas and electrical connections.
- Inspect and clean the blower assembly.
- Measure the current and voltage on the motor.
- Test the system controls for proper cycling.
- Calibrate your thermostat for accuracy.
- Inspect wires and terminals for corrosion and apply a nonconductive coating if needed.
- Inspect your ductwork for damage and loose joints to prevent air loss.
- Test for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
While a tune-up is essential for optimum performance of your system, there are several things you should do at the beginning of the heating season to ensure your family’s safety and comfort this winter:
- Test and replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Know where your gas shut-off valve is, and keep it free of obstructions.
- Post the phone number of your gas company near your furnace so that you can contact it quickly in the event you smell gas.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans. Keep them on the lowest setting to draw up warm air and distribute it throughout the room to increase your comfort at lower thermostat settings.
Every month during the winter, check your air filter, and replace it when it’s dirty. A clean air filter improves your indoor-air quality, prevents dust buildup in your system and ensures proper airflow for optimum system efficiency.
For more expert advice about your annual furnace tune-up, contact Comfort Systems, serving Wichita residents with a high level of customer satisfaction.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace tune-ups and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.