What To Look For When Hiring a Contractor
Posted on May 20, 2014
When the time comes for the replacement, service or maintenance of your heating or cooling system, hiring an HVAC contractor who is experienced and knowledgeable can help ensure the success of the project and increase your level of satisfaction. Here are some great tips on what to look for, to keep your Wichita home running efficiently, safely and comfortably all year round.
- Check the contractor’s license. While there are no licensing requirements at the state level in Kansas, the city of Wichita requires contractors to carry a valid license and general liability, workers’ compensation and automobile liability insurance, and the city won’t issue a work permit without them. Due to the nature of HVAC work, where the repair or installation of plumbing may be required to complete the job, a contractor holding a separate plumber’s license is beneficial as well.
- Ask for references. Before hiring an HVAC contractor, obtain a minimum of three recent, local references, and make time to call each one with questions about the work they had done, and the likelihood that they would hire the same contractor in the future.
- Get it in writing. Don’t assume the lowest bid is the most cost-effective option. Ask for a written, detailed estimate from each candidate, and compare them before choosing, taking into account factors such as equipment efficiency, cost and the length and details of the warranty.
- See eye to eye. Avoid contractors who try to give you an estimate for new equipment over the phone; insist on a home evaluation, complete with a Manual D load calculation, duct inspection and an assessment of your needs and requirements.
- Experience counts. Along with a significant number of years in the HVAC industry, choose a contractor who has experience with your particular equipment. This is especially important if you have a geothermal, high-efficiency or antiquated heating or cooling system.
Call the experts at Comfort Systems before hiring an HVAC contractor for your Wichita home. We’ve been proudly serving residents in and around the area since 1996.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.