Are you suffering from allergies this season in your Wichita-area home? If so, then it’s important that you take the necessary steps to allergy-proof your household in order to maintain your health and comfort. Here are 10 tips to help you get started:
- Replace your carpet — If your home has carpeting, then your floor is full of allergens. If possible, switch it out with wood or laminate flooring, which is much easier to clean and doesn’t harbor contaminants.
- Protect your bedding — Using dust mite covers over your mattresses, box spring, and pillows will keep a number of allergens from irritating you while you sleep.
- Remove your shoes — A huge amount of allergens are tracked into your home on your shoes. Removing your shoes each time you enter your home will greatly reduce this problem.
- Utilize air filtration — An air filtration unit with a HEPA filter can go a long way to extracting allergens from your home’s air.
- Buy a new vacuum cleaner — If you insist on having carpet, be sure that you’re using a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
- Change your air filters — Replacing the filter in your HVAC system as directed by the manufacturer will keep your air clean and prolong the lifespan of the unit.
- Use your exhaust fan — When you’re cooking, don’t forget to use the exhaust fan in order to remove allergens, carbon monoxide, and other harmful elements.
- Remove clutter — Those stacks of books, papers, or knickknacks that you keep meaning to clean up are collecting dust and other allergens. Get rid of them.
- Fight against mold — This goes for your entire house, but the biggest problem area is your bathroom. Mold accumulates quickly, so be sure to dry the area on a regular basis and provide good ventilation.
- Keep things clean — Wiping off counters and dusting on a regular basis is essential if you hope to cut down the allergens you’re exposed to.
If you’d like more expert advice on how to allergy-proof your home, or for other home comfort questions, don’t hesitate to contact the professionals at Comfort Systems. We’ve been serving Wichita and the surrounding area since 1996.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergy-proofing and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.