Finding the Most Qualified Contractor for Your A/C Installation
Posted on July 18, 2013
Finding a qualified contractor for A/C installation is crucial. Two of the main causes of air conditioning problems are improper installation and inadequate maintenance. If you choose an HVAC contractor who doesn’t install your unit properly, you will wind up with a lifetime of system inefficiencies and unnecessary repairs.
Here is a checklist to assist you in finding a qualified contractor for A/C installation and service in your Wichita area home.
- Referrals. The first step is as simple as asking around. Check with neighbors and friends who have had an HVAC installation or service performed recently recently. If you hear a company’s name more than once, that’s a good sign.
- Do they have a license? Make sure your HVAC contractor is licensed. Ask for their contractor’s license number and verify it with local governing agencies. You should also ask whether their technicians are NATE certified, which indicates they are better trained and skilled than their non-certified counterparts.
- Energy efficiency. Energy-efficient A/C systems have come a long way in the past decade. Make sure your A/C contractor is up to date on the importance of Energy Star-qualified equipment, tax rebates and the benefits whole-house efficiency.
- Did they do an inspection? A good contractor will do a thorough inspection of your HVAC system and duct system and clearly explain what he finds.
- Do they go by the book? If your contractor starts talking about “rule of thumb” equipment sizing, move on to the next one. In order to maximize the energy efficiency of your HVAC system and duct design, contractors should employ Manuals J and D. Using precise calculations to size the system and design or configure its ductwork will garner significant savings and add years to your A/C’s life.
- Check references. Once you have narrowed your search to a few companies, call and ask for references. Take the time to contact the references and ask pertinent questions regarding accuracy of bids, whether the company provides written and itemized proposals, timeliness of service, etc. This can help you select the best company for the job.
Interested in finding a qualified contractor for A/C installation and service? Contact Comfort Systems. Our certified technicians have provided quality HVAC installation, and unparalleled customer service, to Wichita area homeowners for more than 50 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Wichita, Kansas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C installation and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.